NHS Complaints Advocacy

Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service (WHACS)

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you’re not satisfied with the service you’ve experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or any other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it. 

Who Is The Service For?

By law, anyone who wishes to complain about an NHS service is entitled to receive advocacy support to help them make their complaint.

Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service (WHACS) is free, confidential and independent, and available to all residents of Wolverhampton. We help people understand what their options are and support them through the NHS complaints process to ensure they get the best possible resolution. We provide information and support to help people understand their rights and make informed choices when making a complaint.

What Support Does An Advocate Provide?

An advocate provides free, confidential and independent support, and will provide you with information to help you make informed choices to help you navigate through the NHS complaints process.

Every person who accesses the service will have different needs and every complaint is different which is why the service adapts the approach it takes to each case and tailors the support it provides to meet individual needs.

You decide the level of support you need and an advocate will work with you to ensure you get the best possible outcome to your complaint.

The Advocate’s role is to:

  • Explore the options available to you at each stage of the complaint’s procedure
  • Answer your questions to help you make informed decisions
  • Help you to write effective letters to the right people
  • Prepare you for any meetings (including ensuring that any necessary evidence and other material are available) and attend with you if required
  • Contact and speak to third parties, on your request
  • Monitor the progress of your complaint, ensuring it progresses in a timely manner
  • Discuss response letters received to make sure you are satisfied with the outcome
  • Assist you with submissions to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

An Advocate cannot:

  • Give you legal or medical advice
  • Provide counselling
  • Help you complain about a private healthcare provider
  • Get an NHS employee disciplined
  • Provide a secretarial service

Not everyone making a complaint about the NHS will need an advocate. Sometimes, you may just need some information. If you decide you want to make a complaint yourself, you may find our Self-Help Information Pack useful.

How Do I Get Support From An Advocate?

If you decide that you would like the support of an advocate, please complete and return our consent form either by email: info@healthwatchwolverhampton.co.uk or post to

Healthwatch Wolverhampton WHACS,

Regent House, 

Bath Avenue




You can also make a referral for someone else, but please get their permission first.

If you need further information or support, call 0800 161 5600 (Lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday. An answerphone operates outside of these times).

For more information or to complete a consent form so that we are able to provide you with Advocacy support use the links below. Please note that for Advocacy support you will need to complete the consent form and the Equality and Diversity form:


Your Feedback About Our Service

After the complaints process has been completed, we would like you to tell us about your experience of our service. 

Receiving a compliment is greatly welcomed, but we also want and need to hear where we could have done better so we can improve our service. 

Please use the link below so that you can tell us what you think.