Helpful advice

Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service (WHACS)

Making a NHS complaint can be confusing. You can assess independent support from Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service (WHACS) at any point during the complaints process.

Call: 0300 456 2370


Download the WHACS service leaflet

Visit their website: POhWER – Heath Complaints Service (WHACS)


Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

PALS provides confidential help to patients making a complaint about hospital services provided by Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust.

Click here for more information on PALS


Wish to complain about a local health service?

A complaint may be as a result of the way treatment or care has been provided to a patient or how a service has been managed. It may also relate to the attitude and behaviour of staff.

Click here for the complaints guide from Wolverhampton CCG


NHS 111

111 is a telephone service brought to you by the NHS. It is the number you should call when you need advice or medical treatment quickly, and you cannot wait for an appointment to see your doctor.

Visit the NHS 111 website


Help with health costs (April 2019)

Can you get help with the cost of:

Prescriptions, wigs and fabric supports

NHS eye tests and optical vouchers

NHS Dental Charges



Call: 116 123

Visit the Samaritans website


Domestic violence support

Visit Wolverhampton Safeguarding website